I worked with Jan on this mail server before, and I know that tech.

Sorry Jan, wracked my head over this one too.

Mail is particularly hard to recover via filesystem undeletion, since the
mails are scattered as individual files in a directory tree. Deleting
removes all hierarchy information from the files, so what you'll end up with
is a bunch of nameless, orphaned text files - possibly hundreds, scattered
in random locations through the disk. There probably is no way to tell which
is which unless you do a system down and a manual filesystem scan for
orphaned inode text that have the email addresses in question. I don't even
know how to do that, and even then, there's no guarantee to recover.

I'm not sure if a solution is possible, although that assistant deserves all
the swear words he could get. I remember being particularly strict on him to
always get permission on questionable actions...
--
thing.