On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Gene Ordanza II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yep, Perl TMTOWTDI either works for you or just a pain in the... and if your
> going to be maintaining old scripts, good luck. But what strikes me most
> about learning Perl nowadays, is that folks getting into it are mostly doing
> code maintenance work as opposed to learning the language for the heck/fun
> of it.  I supposed TMTOWTDI can be more of unnecessary 'challenge' as
> opposed to just one obvious way to do it.

I'm probably an exception, having wanting to learn Perl because I
wanted to start writing CGI applications with it back at high school
in '98, when I got this Web Design book published by Coriolis, that
segued a bit into CGI programming with the then Perl 4 (Perl 5 was
just hitting the scene.)  Nowadays though I write Perl scripts for
automation, being the only guy to use it in a mostly Ruby shop ;).
For my personal site, its the standard language (no Ruby or Python as
much as possible) and I try to push back to the CPAN with new modules
in the works.

--
Zak B. Elep || http://zakame.spunge.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED] || [EMAIL PROTECTED] || [EMAIL PROTECTED]