Hi,

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Pablo Manalastas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> 4. iPhone SDK.  Has anyone in PLUG any idea what this is? Has anyone ever
> downloaded it?

It is an SDK for the iPhone! :P Anyway, it is NOT open sourced and deploying
apps require that you sign-up (and get approved) by Apple for inclusion in
their AppStore. Whilst this has vast potential considering the hype, open
source development is very difficult.

> 6. J2ME.  This is what the folks (at the Ateneo Java Wireless Competency
> Center) use.  Using Java, all they have to do is learn one tool set (and
> the implementation details for each particular phone), and they can develop
> for any phone with Java. But Java is interpreted, and on a 400MHz ARM
> phone, interpreted Java will run much slower.

Technologies such as JIT compilers make Java as fast as C/C++ in some
aspects. On the Mobile, you have JavaME as the largest SDK available in the
market today. PhoneMe is its open source base, similar to OpenSolaris and
Solaris 10.

BTW, have you tried the games bundled with Sony Ericsson mobile phones - 3D
tennis, etc.? Tell me if it is slow - oh, it is a Java midlet. :P

You left out Android, which runs on open source technologies - Linux and a
Java-like development environment.

--
Prof. Rommel P. Feria
Apple Distinguished Educator / Sun Java Champion

Department of Computer Science
University of the Philippines - Diliman
Quezon City 1101 Philippines
Tel/Fax: +63 2 434 3877