On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Gene Ordanza II
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using vim editor for Python programming and would like to automate some
> tasks.  I would like to map a single key to do the following:

[...]

> 'appreciate it if you can give some tips or pointers.

You probably want to encapsulate that into a function in your .vimrc:

,----
| " automatically run Python on file if it begins with `#!' and contains
| " `python' in the first line
| function RunPython()
|   if getline(1) =~ "^#!"
|     if getline(1) =~ "python"
|       !python <afile>
|     endif
|   endif
| endfunction
|
| au BufWritePost * call RunPython()
`----

This even saves you a keymap, so just  doing `:w' automatically calls
RunPython() on the file just after saving it.

And, for the Emacs folks, there's also the equivalent (and more
robust) shebang.el[1] library.

[1]  http://harts.net/reece/emacs/shebang.el

--
Zak B. Elep || http://zakame.spunge.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED] || [EMAIL PROTECTED] || [EMAIL PROTECTED]