On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 3:23 AM, paul <ppal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> actually, AT&T never intended to make profit from
> UNIX in the beginning. i think the early development
> of UNIX was similar to linux. ken thompson wanted
> to play games (as a hobby) so he created an OS. AT&T
> did not tell ken to create UNIX so that they can sell it.
> it was an individual effort out of self-motivation... hobby.
> even during the early phase, nobody thought that
> UNIX could be a multimillion dollar business. they gave it
> away.... not because of whatever law prohibiting them
> but they didn't think OS was a good business....
> whoever would have thought that UNIX would become
> important in the development of internet?

Operating systems were not a big business, at the time; most were made
at research or government facilities, usually for very specific
systems and jobs.  Besides, there was still no C at the time to
catalyze the production of a highly portable operating system; all the
world's programmers were specializing in their own gobbledygook.

In fact, the entire episode of Unix popularity can be attributed to
the parallel development of C: the Unix we know and love/hate today
would not be so otherwise.

> ever wonder why IBM ask bill for the DOS instead of creating one?
> during that time, IBM could afford to hire developers for the OS but
> nobody saw it as an important business case for personal computing.
> during that time, OS was an added value to the hardware.
> ken and company developed UNIX as a hobby and many
> contributed to it (more like a project... extended it in
> universities and research labs)... until AT&T saw
> a business opportunity and owned it literally.

Yes, see above.  After all, IBM didn't really made custom operating
systems their core business until later on; they can hire them for
domain-specific work.  Still, when IBM does make an OS, they are
pretty long-lived and well supported: see OS/360, MVS, and VM.

> the same thing happened to linux. it was a hobby....
> then shared to the world... until IBM and other big
> companies join and made business out of it....
> these two are examples of innovation not really
> driven by *PROFIT*. linus created LINUX because
> he wants to install UNIX-os in his computer for free.
> it was never intended for profit in similar way
> that ken created UNIX.

Linux (or Freax, as it was then supposed to be called) began from
disaster, actually: Linus was trying to dial out from his home Minix
to his university's network, when he realized he gave the wrong device
to write to: zeroing out his hard disk.  It was at that point where he
decided not to reinstall Minix, but to finally make the jump and
install what began as a simple video demonstration for his sister to
look at ;)  See his autobio, "Just For Fun".

>From that book too came this nugget: there was the one fateful day
where Linus met RMS when the latter was touring universities to spread
the GNU gospel.  I think this was at the time Linux was already out on
the funet FTP, though still not licensed a la GPL/BSD/MIT.  I wonder
if that day never occurred: would Linux still be released on a
homebrew license, and still make an impact?  Or would we be using
GNU/BSDs?

> dennis ritchie even mentioned that UNIX is just one of hundreds
> of mini projects/utilities they developed to get things done or
> satisfy their hobbies. fortunately, some of these miniprojects
> like UNIX were shared to the world... but he said that many got lost...
> maybe, if these other projects found their way to the world,
> their impacts would have been more significant than UNIX...
> but AT&T were not interested of marketing those other
> miniprojects because they were just tools or products which
> were not in line with the business of AT&T. UNIX just got
> lucky.... or the world just got lucky.

There's one example of a project that could have taken off, if not for
the mishaps: Inferno.  Especially the older edition that had the Alef
language (which subsequently been revised into Limbo,) this early
re-engineering of Plan 9 for both native and virtual environments
would have made a great competitor for Java, yet AT&T only
half-heartedly pushed for it.

> i would say that the early development of these technologies
> were not driven by business agenda... so in this case,
> innovation was not driven or directed by *a corporation*...
> look what happened to *multics*. it was *a corporation*
> project and somehow it failed...  compare it with UNIX
> and linux which started with a very simple target and
> shared to the world.

GE Multics failed for AT&T simply because the hardware involved to run
it (GE 645s and Honeywell  IIRC) was too costly for Bell to support.
Contrast with Bell Unix working on an "acquired" PDP-7.

> one main reason why many  significant inventions came
> from Bell labs was their policy of attracting the best graduates
> of MIT and other top US universities... gave them huge
> amount of money... and told them to create whatever they
> want from that money within a period of time.... Bell Labs
> gave total freedom to these researchers to create things...
> things the interest them... like a hobby. this policy is different

Unfortunately, Bell Labs' days are all but forgotten.  Murray Hill has
fewer and fewer people, with not many coming in, and Alcatel-Lucent
(who acquired Bell Labs not too long ago) are only giving life support
for the Unix Netlib and Plan 9.  Heck, most moving development now on
Plan 9 is due to the stimulus provided by Google's Summer of Code.

> policy from a typical company where products are created
> based on what the market dictates. AT&T just capitalized
> the creativity of individuals to create new things in the
> same way that STALLMAN advocates every person
> to have the power to create things that interest them
> by giving them full access to the environment they work...
> in this case the source code. do you think this is a bad
> philosophy?

True enough.  A key element in the early days of Unix was the fact
that it was never a product for the market in the first place, but
rather to be a platform for continuing research (taking off from
Multics,) and of course, games ;)  There was no market, to begin with:
that market may have actually began when Unix got the word processing
job for AT&T's patents department, which subsequently justified
porting the system to a PDP-11 and building the ancestor of nroff.

Contrast this with Plan 9, where AT&T tried to market and failed:
where Plan 9 could have innovated uniform resource access
significantly, the hazards of paying a hundred or so dollars just to
get a copy and support for it simply put Unix in the "good enough is
better" light.

--
Zak B. Elep  ||  zakame.net
1486 7957 454D E529 E4F1  F75E 5787 B1FD FA53 851D