On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Bopolissimus Platypus Jr
<bopolissimus.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like the problem has to do with the custom kernel.  When I
> use a kernel I built I can't run programs as a regular user.  When I
> use the kernel that comes with the tonidoplug, I can.  It's confusing
> since all I did was enable advanced router features and NAT modules
> (and modules that that requires).  But there it is.  I don't mind
> having to run as root on this machine, and I'm in the process of
> switching to debian anyway, so I'm sure I'll break more things than
> this before I'm done :-).

Someone pointed me at the solution on the tonido forums.  Summarized
on my blog at:

http://monotrematica.blogspot.com/2010/06/tonido-kernel-with-nat-and-no-su-to-non.html

and once I knew what the solution was I went and searched on google
again for vm.mmap_min_addr and sheeva (searching for that and tonido
didn't help).

There's one line at:

http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Install_Prebuilt_Kernels_From_sheeva.with-linux.com

but no explanation.  I *had* looked at that page, but I didn't read
that part since I was just skimming the document and I gave up quickly
since it didn't seem relevant to me (requires serial connection, and I
can't get at the tonido mini-USB port without opening the case and
even if I did that I'm not sure there *is* a mini-USB port :-).

thanks all for playing.

tiger

--
Gerald Timothy Quimpo http://bopolissimus.blogspot.com
bopolissimus.li...@gmail.com bopolissi...@gmail.com

Even Tom Lane said: "Or, if you're worried
about actions from functions, use a trigger
to do the logging.  There are approximately
no cases where a rule is really better than
a trigger :-( "