Nice to know but this needs to scale.

Even most Europe computer science grads can't get a job. Most of them work
in the food and beverage industry now. Most of the guys I started out
hacking Linux 14 years ago got 6 figure salaries for a while now but they
too had to  work in a bar for more than half of that time. Now there is not
enough of them.

Get them started in high school. And they don't even need to be taking
computer science. Just start contributing asap. Just write more or less a
hundred lines of code everyday on a fixed schedule. Theorizing how to write
good code is not good enough.

We just need to get the message out there that they can program for low
cost. Even an old pentium will do. I even saw pentium fields ruggeds out
there that just gets kicked around. Even the teachers can teach themselves.
All they need to do is contribute and the job will come to them. Even from
abroad. But with enough developers in the Phil who needs to go abroad?

The fact that most of our teachers haven't caught on to this is just too
bad.

On 13 Jan 2014 02:11, "Zak Elep" <zak...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 3:29 AM, Rogelio Serrano
> <rogelio.serr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How active is the open source development scene in the Philippines?
Writing