Michael,

Quoting Michael Tinsay <tinsa...@yahoo.com>:

I have a server with Ubuntu 12.04 as host OS with a single RHEL4 KVM guest running.  At this point, I cannot upgrade that RHEL4 OS to any later version.  Since there is no virtio support in the guest's kernel, I'm stuck with IDE emulation.  And it is so sssslllloooowwww.

Can you upgrade the kernel?
I have a RH4 running OracleDB which is using virtio bus driver. 4.8 supports it.

# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 8)

It is also worthy to note that i am running the RH4 VM in a server with BBU and "write back" cache mode enabled.

regards,
Kenneth