On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:57, Galen Seitz <gal...@seitzassoc.com> wrote:
> chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
>> we have a honking APC ups here at the office, like, fridge-sized, and
>> the free software that exists for linux (apcupsd) is pretty flaky.  so
>> much so that i have it running, but not doing anything except logging.
>>  because it logs transient connection-to-the-ups failures constantly,
>> which would normally shut the machine running the software down.  so
>> instead i monitor *that* software for an outage longer than 5 minutes
>> and do some automated sshing around shutting things down.  total
>> kludge, but i gave up on apcupsd after a day or so trying to get it to
>> work right.  so i can't recommend the APC free software.  maybe others
>> have had better luck with it.  the commercial "powerchute" stuff
>> seemed to work better last time i used it.  dunno if it's available
>> for linux or if it comes free with consumer-level ups's though.
>
> Interesting.  I have a Back-UPS XS 1300.  I'm using the
> apcupsd(3.14.0-3.el5) that is part of CentOS 5.2, and it 'just works'.
>  All I had to do was connect the USB cable.

yeah, i bet that would work great.  unfortunately, the UPS is in its
own room and the cable conduit between the two is so full of stuff
that the network cable was actually running out the door and down the
hall for awhile.  usb is out of the question--couldn't get the
connector through the hole (had to thread an un-ended cat5 cable
through and put the connectors on both ends after the fact).