On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:12:37 -0700 (PDT)
Joe Pruett <j...@clean.q7.com> dijo:

> give up on gnome-terminal and use xterm.  it's not as fancy, but doesnt
> rely on all the rest of gnome running.  obviously you have some startup
> problem, so you might want to check your x logs (not sure exactly where
> ubuntu puts them).

I'll consider xterm later.

Right now I am thrilled to report that Gnome-do did the job. I am
happily writing this in Gnome with my panel and everything apparently
working as before the upgrade to Jaunty.

As I said in my last message, I logged in as my alter ego "jcj." Good
old "jcj" had a normal screen with the Gnome panel. Yay! Then I logged
out jcj and tried to log in as root, but Ubuntu said root can't log in
from the start window. Oh well.

So then I logged in as myself "jjj" and when I did there was this
little display in the middle of the screen. It was Gnome-do and it said
I should start typing. So I typed gnome-panel and hit enter. And my
panel came right up. Yay!

Now I need to figure out how to make it permanent. But at least I can
get gnome-panel working. And I can get a gnome terminal and anything
else I need.

Thanks for all the tips. Ain't it fun to sleuth out stuff that's
broken? And look at all the neat tricks I have learned. :)

I'm just thankful that I have the time to devote to fixing stuff right
now and a team of PLUGgers with the brains to give me suggestions.