On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 22:41 -0700, drew wymore wrote:
> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Someone <plu...@robinson-west.com> wrote:
>
> > I am getting bad packet length followed by disconnects a
> > lot.
> >
> > This machine I am trying to log into is only accessible
> > through a wireless link originating from a Linksys WAP11.
> > I have googled and googled and googled and I still can't
> > figure out why this is happening.  The drops are random,
> > but I don't ever get very far command wise.  I don't get
> > vim up or cat any large files.
> >
> > I saw something about login scripts that print messages
> > to the console crashing ssh, but I don't know if that
> > is accurate let alone pertinent.  Slackware by default
> > prints messages to the terminal after I log in even
> > if I come in via ssh.
> >
> > I wonder if the 2 wireless cards which are intended
> > to create 2 different wireless networks from this
> > server are interrupting each other?  This server is
> > basically intended as a repeater and a camera box.
> >
> > Note that I have Slackware 10.1 running on a wired
> > network booted system and I'm not having any problems
> > of this nature on that machine.
> >
> > mich...@barn:/var/log$ ls
> > apache/  gdm/      messages   removed_packages/  secure
> > webcam_server.log
> > Disconnecting: Bad packet length 3823690040.
> > [plu...@goose ~]$

> My googling suggests it's a protocol mismatch between client and server. You
> didn't mention which version of Slackware you're ssh'ing into that is
> causing the issue. What client are you using?

That's a great guess, but I'm using slackware 10.1 on both the client
and the server.  I assume that the ssh client is the same as I haven't
done any updates.

OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004 on the last wired computer
before I reach barn.

OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004 on barn itself which I reach
from a Linksys WAP11 hooked to condor.

As you can see, the same version of ssh supposedly.