On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Larry Williams<lar...@holbrookmasons.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 18:22, Fred James<fredj...@fredjame.cnc.net> wrote:
>> To avoid MSW
>
> What about RTF?  OO.o does remark that it's converting the document,
> but there may be less of an issue with that than any DOC format.

I can't speak to anyone else's issues with OO.org, or their needs with
respect to MS Office interoperability, but RTF is simply insufficient
for many uses.  Cross-referencing document sections, figures, tables,
bibliography entries, etc. are all critical for the .docs I have to
work with.

In my experience, OO.org has never been sufficient for sharing
documents with MS Word users.  I simply have no idea what the
documents will look like on the other end.  (The last time I tried
this, every image in the document was stacked on top of eachother,
regardless of archoring location.).  It's just embarassing.

If you do use OO.org in a professional capacity, you may want to find
someone who can show you what your documents look like to a Word user.

I now think of OO.org as a handy viewer of MS Office formatted
documents, but if I actually have to produce one I fire up a Win XP vm
that does nothing but run Office.

--Rogan