On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Michael Robinson
<plu...@robinson-west.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 06:26 -0700, wes wrote:
> > It is at least possible to find the RAM you mentioned:
> >

> http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?rid=fd_10&itemid=1438949855
> >
> > sale price 165.23... have fun with that.
> >
> > At the risk of opening Pandora's box..... why are you spending so much
> time
> > on Alpha stuff?
> >
> > -wes
> >
> Why Alpha got into the hands of Compaq followed by HP, I am not certain.
>
> Sadly, Alpha could have been a significant alternative to Itanium that
> would have competed well if it had been continued.
>
> The market is dominated by Intel and this is not healthy.  The IA32
> and Itanium architecture are probably highly complex and complicated.
> A simpler architecture built for speed like the Alpha should in
> theory be easier to support Linux on.
>
> Should Sparc die out because it is not an Intel compatible architecture?
>
> Heck, these days Intel even makes the Mac.
>
> But seriously, why did a computer architecture that was creaming the
> IA32 architecture on floating point lose to the Itanium architecture?
>
> I suppose AMD processors, which are not a different architecture really
> from Intel's, are the only alternative left in the mini and micro
> computer world.
>
> The Wintel monopoly is well known and frankly it is sickening that these
> two companies work so closely together.  The DEC Alpha could have broken
> that up a bit.  Intel Mac and Intel PC are not enough, there need to be
> more choices than that.  It's kinda like saying, "You can have any car
> you want, as long as it's black."
>
> There are a few problems with Alpha that show how tightly Intel and
> Microsoft are married.  Windows NT 4.0 on Alpha is out of support now,
> but even before support ended there was no easy way to know where to
> get Windows NT Alpha software where the PC version wouldn't work.
> FX32 wasn't that great.  On the other hand, this poor support for
> Windows software translates to poor support for Windows viruses and
> worms.  Using an Alpha for a server instead of a PC is theoretically
> safer.  Using the Alpha these days is like using Latin.
>
> I don't see trying to upgrade the memory in my Alpha as opening
> Pandora's box at all.

I think he meant opening Pandora's box by ASKING you why you still use Alpha
;)

I don't like where computers are today.
> I don't like that Linux used to run on 5 or 6 different computer
> architectures equally well where these days it only seems to run
> well on just one or two.  Does Redhat even support Linux on
> Sparc anymore?  Is Sparc dead?  How about MIPS and PowerPC?
> PowerPC is an interesting concept, a powerful computer that
> can run software meant for both Macs and IBM compatible
> personal computers.  What happened to that concept?
>
> Why isn't there a software company supporting a non Itanium computer
> architecture that isn't tied to Intel?  Intel is becoming too
> powerful.  Windows should have lost major market share a long time
> ago, but Intel has been tying the most common computer hardware to
> it.  Even Mac these days uses Intel hardware.
>
> I think the Alpha is a great architecture with no hacks like the IA32
> and Itanium architectures.  Alpha's have a young architecture that was
> never taken to it's full potential.

To sum up, it sounds like you use it because it specifically is not Intel or
Intel compatible.

Three cheers for the little guy who coulda been a contenda...
>From what I understand the reason Alpha didn't go any further was marketing
(or lack thereof), not technical.

I don't have any Alpha, but I have a PPC based NEXT slab workstation around
somewhere, and a G4 and a couple G3 PowerBooks.  I also run AMD64 in my main
desktop.  But I do have a couple Intel laptops and a netbook.

I don't want to see Intel going down or anything, they happen to be a big
part of the Oregon economy (jobs being a big part of that)- but I do agree
lately the market has thinned too much.  The last major holdout was
Apple/PPC.

That being said, you have to admit, without Intel, how likely is it, we
would all have our own personal computers at home (or several), instead of
sitting at a teletype logged into a mainframe?

My $0.02225 (inflation)

-----
Matt M.
LinuxKnight