On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Paul Heinlein <heinl...@madboa.com> wrote:
> Has anyone in PLUGland purchased and used a mobile broadband account?

In a nutshell: I would not recommend the Clearwire mobile broadband,
based on my experience with their non-mobile service.

I did had a Clearwire account for my home broadband for two years.  I
was extremely unhappy with the billing department (I don't believe the
true rates were disclosed until my first bill arrived), and the
service.  More than once I ended up using 3G via my phone because the
clearwire connection was so sluggish.

Customer service tried to help by having me very gradually shift the
orientation of my home modem to get a better signal to a (better?)
working tower.  This was a very painstaking process ("ok, shift it
another 1-2 degrees clockwise, ok, stop" <3 minutes later> "nope, that
dropped the signal..").  I would be concerned about the effect of
crowds or thick walls on the signal with a mobile card.

Clearwire also developed a habit of notifying me of account changes /
alerts by redirecting a single http request to one of their servers
instead of using email/phone/usps.

I've been meaning to dig into tethering with the G1, but I haven't had
the motivation since I switched to DSL.

--Rogan