I have a Linux based tftp server and I've been creating
bootable freedos disk images.  Unfortunately, I'm limited
to a 2.88 meg image.  Is there any simple way to break
that limit?  Some programs I'd like to run via network
boot such as Battle Tech II demand an actual hard drive,
groan.

Naturally, I want to be able to switch network bootable
images so I can use different programs, test memory, get
an LTSP Linux terminal, etcetera.  My experiments with
Microsoft Client have been less than fruitful on my
D845PEBT2 based computer system with built in Intel nic.
There is a packet driver for the board that works in native
dos, but not an NDIS driver.  Actually, E100BPKT.COM doesn't
seem to work in a diskless environment causing motherboard
reset the minute I try to use a network app.

My thought is that freedos is a simple system that can be
outfitted with drivers to support reading ext3 file systems.
So in theory, one can network boot and back up via network
their Linux system.  Sadly, the freedos project is stalled
and there seems to be no effort to produce open source high
quality network card drivers.

In some ways I wonder if a network booted console only Linux
system would be more useful.  I would like to know what to
replace the init scripts with as leaving them the same when
you are network booting doesn't make sense.  The typical
scripts assume that there is a hard disk.

Does anyone know of a really fancy way to pick from multiple
network boot images at network boot time?