I'm a heavy CentOS user.  The reality is, enterprise distributions
of Linux like Slackware and CentOS tend be rock solid stable, but
they aren't cutting edge.  I wonder for example if a newer version
of Crossover Linux Standard will support the mathematical fonts I
need in Microsoft Word 2003 better?  Can I run the newest version
of Crossover Linux Standard on CentOS?  The answer is probably
no.  The cutting edge Linux distributions are impressively stable,
Fedora will work as a server system.  Thing is, cutting edge
distributions are unstable from the standpoint that the features
they support are not necessarily appropriate for prime time yet.
I don't know much about Mandriva but it sounds like it is closer
to Fedora than say CentOS or Slackware.  How often does Mandriva
come out?  Yearly?  Semi annually?  Monthly?  The ideas that Enterprise
distributions of Linux like Slackware and CentOS are the way to go are
problematic from the standpoint that these distros clearly don't work
as well for Desktop use as say Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, and possibly also
Mandriva.  For a desktop system one needs to run the latest version of
wine and the latest drivers, neither of which are necessarily stable.

I think anything shorter than a 1 year time period for a release doesn't
make sense.  A 10 year time period is a long time release where the
feature set is going to get quite ancient by the time the next release
comes on line.  Linux needs to advance in certain areas and this can
make enterprise distributions of Linux seem like poor choices compared
to non enterprise distributions.  Thing is, there is a trade off that
must be recognized between being advanced and being stable/reliable.
If Linux supports what you need to do today, CentOS and Slackware might
be the best choices for you.  If, however, you need the cutting edge
mathematical font support in Word 2003 under Crossover Linux, then
maybe Mandriva and a frequent update regimen is the way to go.
Old 4.x versions of CentOS for example do not support the latest
Dansguardian releases.  I'm not sure when iptables started supporting
user based packet filtering.  Linux still needs to improve in some
areas and generally speaking it is.

A cutting edge Linux distribution can be a better choice on a server
than a non cutting edge distribution depending on what the server has
to do and how careful you are about avoiding the use of unstable
features.

Increasingly I need to think about switching from CentOS 5.x on my
desktop to something else where Ubuntu hasn't seemed to be the right
choice.