On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>   I thought that I had saved the instructions for this from several years
> ago, but apparently I did not.
>
>   I need to remove double quotes from a specific column for all 3200 lines
> in a file. I know that I can do a regex search and replace for the beginning
> of each line, but the quotes I need to remove are in the interior. It seems
> to me that there is a way to block a vertical column and manipulate text
> within that marked block, but I no longer remember how to do this.

Put the cursor on the first column of the text you want to remove, set
the mark (c-space), move to the last row, and one colum *past* the
right-most column you want to remove, and then run kill-rectangle (c-x
r k).  There are a few other foo-rectangle commands, but I don't know
them well, other than yank-rectangle (c-x r y).

Note that these keystrokes are *three*distinct* presses, not a 4-key
chord.  (press ctrl-x, release, then r, then k)

--Rogan