I'm shopping for my first new desktop in five years and hoping to have
it for as long.  My desk area is tiny (converted closet) so I'm
looking at smaller and quieter systems.  (But still mainstream: I've
been a bit disappointed with the stability of VIA-based systems so
want to stick with Intel or perhaps AMD.)

I'm looking closely at Dell's "Optiplex 760" system.  It's available
in two smallish form-factors, one "ultra small" that'll fit on a
bookshelf and a "small" that won't.  But only the latter is available
with a core-2 *quad* processor.  Anybody have experience or strong
feelings about how badly I'll wish I had four cores over the next few
years?

The system will run Debian natively and Windows 7 in qemu or Virtual
Box on top of that.  I expect it'll be most heavily loaded when I'm
running Eclipse.  Our current desktop shows its age when browsing
photo galleries, and can't really run Eclipse at all.

Thanks,

--Eric