> I suggest we focus our efforts on a single well known, long
> established, and relatively uncontroversial candidate, because
> we can succeed best that way.  We make it clear that by honoring
> Linus Torvalds, we are honoring the entire open world creative
> community, and  all the other contributors who will be thrilled
> to see L.T. get it (that is, everyone on the list above except
> Bill Gates).  We are honoring the work of the 1962 Nobel Prize
> committee, whose award to Linus Pauling had a direct effect on
> the production of Linux and of its principal author.  And we
> draw support from every country in the world.
>

> That is how we sell the idea to Linus Torvalds - he will be
> helping establish the Nobel Hackers Club, which will eventually
> include computational physicists and chemists and physicians,
> collaborative literature groups, perhaps someday an A.I. entity
> or two.  It is time to leave the machine closet and take our
> place in the sun ( the bright thing in the big blue room )!
That's a lot to chew on and I see where you're coming from. It is my
understanding though that the award
is for work done in the past year. Yes, I'm not sure exactly how that applies
to Obama or to the
election process. Maybe because there were less antics this time?

So, the challenge is to make the case for what Linus has done for us lately.

The "Nobel Hackers Club" is brilliant. I'm reading the 'Hacker Ethic' right
now, and it would be great
to help the world understand hackers and their contributions.

As a side note, although that list of other people have made notable technical
contributions, RMS has
single handledly done more for our freedom to access, modify, and share source
code.