Doing a cat /proc/pci my Zonet PCI wireless card comes up as a
RealTek 8180L card.  Note the L, I think it means that this card
is quite different from some other 8180 series cards.  I have a
free driver from sourceforge that works on 2.6 kernels, but I'm
noticing that it isn't perfect.  Randomly, the card just stops
working.  If you are ssh'ed in over this card, you'll be going
along fine and without warning everything stops.  I'm wondering
if I should upgrade from 2.6.10 to a much later kernel because
of the possibility that the driver won't compile at all for a
newer kernel?

I tried to use a 2.6 kernel specific driver from RealTek, but that
driver is specific to the 2.6.9 Fedora Core 3 kernel and does
not work with 2.6.10.  Worse, I am not impressed with how this
driver was implemented as it doesn't plug in nicely with the way
things are standardly done in Slackware.

Most of the time when the card is working, I notice a 96/100 for
link quality.  When it is working, it works well.  That's the
trouble, it doesn't always work.

I am somewhat suspicious of my Linksys WAP11 AP, version 2.6 on
the bottom.  Power cycling it sometimes brings the link back up,
which seems odd.

I have rtl8180-0.21.tar.gz source code from sourceforge.  Is this
the latest version of this driver?  Is anyone maintaining this
driver to try and get it working with more of the 8180 cards
out there?  I have 3 open standard 16 bit pcmcia slots. I could
get a pcmcia wireless card to replace this one.  Question is,
what would work well in Linux and connect to my rp-sma pig
tail?