Please excuse me for this selfish rant. Howerver, I'm frustrated w. the
lack of Linux job opps in PDX and and the rest of the state too for that
matter. Especially for entry to mid level people (3 - 5 yrs exp, 1 or 2
distros, light scripting w, other know/exp such as networking,
virtualization).

What I don't understand is why so many small to med bizs still run
Microsoft. The job descrips are usually the same: MS Server 2003/2008,
Exchange, Active Directory, Office. Is this just by default? Are they
not interested in saving money? Don't they want performance,
reliability, a custom solution that best fits their needs? Don't they
care about supporting a talented, creative, local economy by seeking out
FOSS solutions?

I wish I could go into every one of these bizs and show them what Linux
is capable of and then hook them up with talented people who could
customize OS/package builds and maybe even develop custom FOSS apps as
needs dictate.

It could be such a better world for us all...