I'm still having trouble getting 2.6.27.39 to work with SLackware 10.1.

My initrd is created with this invocation:

mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.27.39 -m scsi_transport_api:aic7xxxx:jbd:ext3

I tried unzipping and mounting the initrd image, the modules are
there.  Looking in modules.dep I don't notice any other dependencies,
but maybe I am still missing something.

The aic7xxxx module loads and it says the partitions on the scsi
drive are sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 >.  So why when I get a kernel
panic does it say the only options are sda1 and sda2?  It looks
like the kernel isn't recognizing extended partitions at the
mount root stage.  What would cause the problem of not
recognizing extending partitions?