on my jaunty system which has the Sun version of Virtual box I do:
> uname -a
Linux gauss 2.6.28-16-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 11 09:47:24 UTC 2009
i686 GNU/Linux
(I then check /usr/src)
> ls /usr/src
(and see the directory)
linux-headers-2.6.28-16-generic
(and so my Virtual Box installs)
(you will probably need it for other packages, so persevere; find the rpm
that furnishes the directory corresponding to uname -a)

-- Patrick Timlick