On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Mike Connors <mconno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently had a tech interview w. an organization that runs Gentoo on
> all its
> servers. Part of the interview was to login into a test box, build a
> LAMP server,
> install some software and upgrade some stuff.

Are they still interviewing? :)

> So, my questions for discussion are:
>
> 1. Gentoo's claim to fame is that by compiling each package for the
> specific architecture that performance gains are realized.
> Has anyone found this to be empirically true?

I can't tell the difference, but I'm not running any CPU intensive
stuff that gentoo generated via its package manager.  Anything that
/is/ CPU intensive will probably be compiled by myself.

> 2. If I were making the decisions on which Linux distro to run, I would
> choose
> one which I think would more people would tend to have experience with
> and that
> has a greater mindshare such as Debian or RH.

While not a question, I will comment.  I will agree that familiarity
can have performance gains.  Nevertheless, the most ridiculous
technologies have become commonplace and even traditional.  I will
mention the use of .NET development tools here at work.  While our
developers are familiar with .NET tools and they're easy to learn, I
am definitely NOT impressed with the quality of work derived from
these tools.

> 3. Does anyone have significant experience working on or supporting Gentoo?
> If so, what has your experience been?

I like Gentoo.  I haven't used it in a professional environment,
however.  The whole compile time issue would keep me from using Gentoo
unless, of course, someone paid me to use it. :)  I like Debian, also,
and I would use it in a heartbeat.  My only problem is that you can't
really tell it what NOT to install, but I doubt space is really an
issue on modern systems.

--
Andrew Jackman
kd7...@gmail.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
destroy all copies of the original message.  All your base are belong
to us.