Michael Robinson wrote:
> As you can see, routing table lcl_xer and routing table
> lcl_web both have routing rules for 192.168.1.0/24.
> Oddly enough, the logging rules in the mangle table
> never trigger.  When I try to ping 192.168.1.1 I
> just get an error that the network is unreachable.
> This is not in the advanced routing howto guide
> folks.  The kernel is 2.4.22 and yes I checked
> for MARK support and yes I did compile it in.
> It appears that the kernel not seeing a route in
> the main table doesn't produce any packets.
The "network unreachable" message is always indicative
of a routing problem. This likely means that whatever interface
packets destined for 192.168.1.0/24 network are going out, the
next hop doesn't have a route to this network.

Remember how routing works. It does a logical and of the subnet network and
subnet mask, If it's determined that the destination is not a local
network. Than a route
table lookup begins. The longest match will win and then the packet gets
sent out
that interface. The packet arrives at the next hop. That router does a
lookup and says,
no good, you can't get there from here, and then sends a network
unreachable mssg back.

I think you need to invoke the powers of tcpdump to
figure out which interface packets for that network are egressing. And
you'll also
see the network unreachable mssg reply from the next hop.

Also, if you have a mis-configured network mask somewhere in there
that could also be the culprit.