On a hunch after verifying that it still works when I use a 10Mbit hub,
I replaced the hub with a crossover coupler.  That is, I used something
that is almost equivalent to a 100Mbit hub with 2 ports.  It isn't
working where I'm seeing the same symptoms.

What could be making this work at 10Mbit but not at 100Mbit?  The first
line in the first building is 100' of Cat5e UTP cable, the second line
is 90' of at least Cat5 STP cable.

I'll have to check the lights on both ends.  It just seems odd, I have
a Netgear FA311 nic on both ends so they should be able to talk to each
other.

I have a new Netgear switch, but I don't want to open it unless I can't
get this working.

I wish I had some way of verifying that the line can operate at
100 Mbps.

I'm wondering if the Cat5 STP cable is having problems.