On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 02:46:56PM -0800, Mike Connors wrote:
> I've read some threads on this, but just wondering if anyone locally has
> run into any of these problems?
>
> 1. Fan continuously runs
>    - I did download some ibm-acpi fan util, but the fan continues to
> run all the time.

My T60 fan does run all the time (when it is not suspended).  But not
loudly .  According to gnome-sensors (in the panel) and ibm-acpi, the
fan is running at 3279rpm and the CPU is at 46C, the load average is
0.1 and the machine is idle except for this open xterm.

> 2. The fan has become annoyingly loud.
>    - Has anyone replaced the fan or taken apart the laptop to clean it
> out, etc?

Not on the T60, but on older thinkpads.  This helps the fan work
more efficiently, hence slower.  And the cruft can also get in
the fan blades and make noise.  It may be possible to blow the
cruft out with compressed air - access is under the keyboard,
IIRC, you must remove that to blow the stuff out the side exhaust.

Keith

(ps - reply off the list - what video chipset do you have, and
what driver are you using with it?  I'm hoping there is something
faster than the radeon driver...)

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com         Voice (503)-520-1993