I have been using Fedora 11, x86_64 for about a month now. It just
occurred to me to check what fileystem Fedora installed. I recall
during the installation I told it to use the entire hard disk and just
clicked OK on the defaults. Turns out that it created a 200 MB ext3
boot partition and a logical volume of 297 GB which contains an ext4
root partition and a small swap partition.

I have several rescue CDs, from Knoppix to smaller command line only
disks. Guess what? They're all too old to be able to fix an ext4
filesystem. My very, very dim understanding is that older systems
(with ext3) can read/write to an ext4 filesystem, but the older e2fsck
won't work. I may well be wrong about the read/write - that is, I may
have it backwards.

Fedora started using ext4 with Fedora 10. Ubuntu made it optional with
Jaunty, and Karmic uses it exclusively.

It's Clinic Eve, so I am downloading some more recent rescue CDs. At
the Clinic tomorrow I will boot them and see which ones can deal with
my ext4 root partition.