Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> It occurred to me that since the machine supports wake-on-lan, that as
> long as there is power to the box the network "card" must be active.
> This could explain why a change in state only occurs through a
> power-off cycle.  Does this help?
My fav part of the output from the "modinfo forcedeth" command has got
to be

HAHA!

At this point, IMHO I think the 2 best candidates are auto-negotiation and a
flaky driver. Heck the flakey driver might even be the root cause of auto-neg
probs.

The fact that when networking fails, you don't see "
  1000baseT/Full" as an advertised link mode tells me that something is b0rked
at a lower level.