On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Mike Connors <mconno...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I prefer to build my own desktop computer. I'm not a fan of Dell,
> because I just
> see them as company who used commodity hw, created a brand (the Dell dude),
> and offered a support contract, etc. Maybe they've changed, BTTBOMK they
> don't
> participate in research and development of standards like IBM and HP.
> Kudos to Dell for offering Linux pre-installed.

  The loose motherboards aren't Open Hardware either.  Those designs
are as encumbered with copyright and licensing as the box PC vendors.
Open Hardware means *open*.  The designs are suppose to be GPL'ed or
some other open license.

> As for laptops, I'm an IBM/Lenovo guy because IMHO the build quality is
> unmatched.

  I like my R52.  It's been a great little machine.

Steve D...

--
"Every perception is a gamble"
Robert Anton Wilson