On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:15:25 -0800
Mike Connors <mconno...@gmail.com> dijo:

>> During a recent voyage through various distros the only one which had
>> issues was Debian Squeeze.

>Hmm, you might be onto something here. I run Sidux, a
>distro derived from Debian Sid. I usually upgrade
>at least once a month and I tend to run run
>"apt-get dist-upgrade" instead of just  "apt-get upgrade".
>Maybe due to that I'm pulling in "Squeeze" pkgs which
>are the culprit.
>
>~# cat /etc/debian_version
>
>squeeze/sid
>
>> blueman, bluez, bluez-alsa (both 32- and 64-bit), bluez-cups,
>> bluez-gnome, bluez-gnome-analyzer, bluez-gstreamer (both 32- and
>> 64-bit), bluez-hcidump, bluez-libs, bluez-libs-devel (both 32- and
>> 64-bit), gnome-bluetooth, gnome-bluetooth-libs (both 32- and 64-bit),
>> gnome-bluetooth-libs-devel (both 32- and 64-bit), gnome-user-share,
>> gnome-vfs2-obexftp, gvfs-obexftp, kde-bluetooth, libbctl (both 32-
>> and 64-bit), obex-data-server, obexd, pulseaudio-module-bluetooth,
>> rfkill.

>I'm running KDE and I seem to have all the requisite Bluez and KDE
>bluetooth pkgs installed. I actually uninstalled most of the peripheral
>Bluex pkgs in case one of them was causing the problem.
>
>My troubleshooting procedure at this point is:
>
>1. See info about the internal Bluetooth device.
>
>2. Discover external Bluetooth device.
>
>3. Connect to external device.
>
>Right now, I'm stuck on Step 1.

I assume you have tried a live CD. If not, try one of the bleeding edge
ones like Karmic, Mint, or Fedora. I have used all of the above at one
time or another, and they found the bluetooth device in my T61 and
automatically configured it. If one of them finds it, then hopefully it
will give you more clues.

Oh, and here is a really dumb suggestion. On my T61 there is a radio
slide switch on the front. Its function is to kill all radios by
physically disconnecting them. I recall one time being unable to get the
wireless working. Ubuntu couldn't even see it. After an hour of
swearing in several languages I discovered the switch. OK, I said it
was a dumb suggestion.

And as long as I'm insulting you with suggestions that I'm sure you've
already tried, there is the BIOS. I once had someone unable to get
sound or USB to work and it turned out that a previously installed
version of Windows had set his BIOS to Safe Boot Mode, disabling those
things.

OK, I'll shut up now. :)