On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM, chris (fool) mccraw <gen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> be warned, killall on some unices (ok, i know that aix 3, but i have
> vague recollections about older solarises) does not do the same thing
> and will in fact kill all processes running under the userid that runs
> killall.  doing a 'sudo killall -1 inetd' brought down a server for me
> once...killing all of root's processes at once turns out to be a bad

Back when I was young and needed the money, I used 'kill -9 -1' to,
uh, remotely log myself out on occasion.... the -1 pid represents
every process you own, aside from 'kill'.  That's probably not related
to your situation, (since -1 is a valid HUP signal) but it *is*
something to look out for.  Don't get the parameters mixed up, in any
case :)

--Rogan