> First, a RAM upgrade from 512MB to 1GB or more would more than likely be of
> more benefit than a slight CPU upgrade within the same CPU class (as in
> staying with P4 instead of upgrading to newer generation).
>
> Second, you don't mention what kind of video hardware you have, a beefier
> GPU may help.

I have an AGP slot fortunately, but whether it is 4x or 8x I am not
certain.  I am using the SIS onboard video at the moment, exactly
what it is, I'm not sure.  Obviously there is a triple:
processor speed, memory amount, video card capabilities.  If I have
to upgrade in all three areas and I don't get this to work, I will
have wasted money.

In another thread I ask about an AGP card that is a Radeon 512MB
AGP 4x/8x card with HDMI capability.  If it is adequate for the
task, I might get one.  That's a $60 investment in old tech
though.

At least this tuner works with my Dad's quad core Windows 7 system,
I'd be ticked off if it didn't.

I realize that going from a P4 to a dual or quad core processor would
be the ideal solution, but that is also an expensive solution.  I have
a 1.80 Ghz or 2.40 Ghz processor right now. so 3.06 Ghz seems like it
would be a decent improvement.  If anyone can show me how to move up
to a dual core system for $35-$70, let me know.

The memory is DDR 333 I believe.  Unfortunately, I have 2 sticks of 256
meg variety filling the board's two slots.  I could buy 1 512 meg stick
or maybe 1 1 gig stick and replace one of them.

The SiliconHDHomerun dual tuner cost me $107.  I'm after a 3.06 Ghz P4
that might run me $35.  I may have to buy a video card.   If I have to
buy memory too, I might be looking at $150-$200 just to upgrade one
machine.  I want to know as I explore upgrading these P4's to the max
if ultimately that will be enough.  If it won't be enough, I'll go back
to trying to win a refurbished dual core system on Ebay.

My budget is less than $300 if at all possible to get at least one and
preferably more than one P4 upgraded adequately.