Erik Lane wrote:
> Having the natural log of 0 might be an issue. I'm pretty sure that
> the natural log of 0 would be negative infinity. That would likely not
> produce a straight line graph....

You can take care of that with one or another expediency.  One thing you
can do is calculate using the 'if': if(that cell == 0; 0; ln(that
cell)).  The other thing you can do is to just don't graph the first point.
> Just have two extra rows where you do your computations. ( =LN(A1)
> and =1/B1 ) for example. Then just copy and paste and it will give you
> your whole series.
>
> Then make the chart from those pre-computed values.
>
> (But isn't a vapor pressure of 0 a vacuum? Is it not 1 for something
> at equilibrium in a lab environment? I could be really misremembering,
> of course.)

It wouldn't be 1 for something in a sealed container.  Perfectly 0 is
unachievable, too, but "down in the noise", certainly.

Perhaps he's introducing ethanol into an evacuated flask.
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Michael Robinson
> <plu...@robinson-west.com> wrote:
>
>> I have temperature values in Kelvin corresponding to vapor pressure
>> values in kPa's.  I need to graph natural_log(vapor pressure) as Y
>> and (1/temperature) for the X axis.  How do I do this in Openoffice
>> Calc???    I should end up with a straight line, but I probably won't.
>>
>> A problem is that my initial vapor pressure is 0, no ethanol in the
>> sealed container.  I don't think the natural_log(0) is defined.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Voice: 503-631-7815
Cell:  503-349-8432