Tony Rick wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Tim Wescott <t...@wescottdesign.com> wrote:
>

>> You are extracting individual characters out of rawInput by getting a
>> pointer to a character array, then getting characters 'the C way'.
>>
>> Yet the string class has a character extraction operator -- why not just
>> use rawInput[i], or rawInput.at(i)?
>>

> ...or iterator members rawInput.begin() and rawInput.end() to avoid using
> size() at all?
> modified example from the string RefMan entry:
> string::iterator it;
> for  (it = rawInput.begin(); it < rawInput.end(); it++) {
>     if (*it == 0x2e) {
>          etc, etc, etc
>     }
>
> - tony

Indeed, I should have mentioned it.  I _thought_ it, but then I thought
it'd be hard to explain, so I didn't pursue it.

That's probably how I'd carry out the task, if I couldn't use the
higher-level parsing functions available from string (like find, substr,
etc.).  I'd have to think about it to know if they could be used to
advantage -- I do nearly all my C++ work in small embedded systems where
use of the STL is anathema.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services