I have 100 feet of Cat 5e UTP cable wired from my server running into
an attic area.  After that, a crossover coupler and 90 feet of Cat5e
STP cable follows.  The client computer has a 100 mbps Netgear Fa311,
but the server is limited to 10 mbps because I historically could not
get a stable link at 100 mbps.  Now I can't seem to get a stable link
at even 10 mbps.  The 90' run goes outside, underground, and back
above ground into another building.  I assume that the cable is burial
grade cable, but I'm starting to wonder.  I keep getting ICMP time
exceeded packets.  Is mixing shielded and unshielded cable the
problem?  This worked stably yesterday and it has been working for
years.  What can I tweak to deal with the timeouts or find out for
sure why the connection has gotten to be so weak?