Victor Soich wrote:
> I also hope that it will have the same "finger actions" as the iphone.
>  I love the multi touch, and I don't like having to use a fingernail
> on the n900 to move around.  It's touch resistance, or whatever, as
> opposed to being able to use the fleshy part of your finger on the
> screen like an iphone.  I played with the iphone, and I hope
> the next version of the n900 has multitouch and the same fingering as
> the iphone, without nokia worrying about getting sued by Apple.

As a huge Nokia supporter surrounded by iPhone fan-boys I've heavily
researched and fiercely debated this whole resistive vs. capacitive
touchscreen
and "mult-touch" myth.

Resistive verses capacitive refer to the way the screen surface is built
and the way
that it registers a touch. It has nothing to do w. "multi-touch" capability.

"Multi-touch" touchscreen technology existed before Apple. Apple lists the
phrase "Mult-touch" on their page of trademarks, however to the best of
my knowledge no government recognizes their claims.
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Daniel Johnson <tekno...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> .  It isn't really
>> meant to be a mass market phone, but a phone for people writing
>> software for the next release which will be a mass market phone.  So
>> if you are interested in writing software for the upcoming Nokia linux
>> smartphone market you can start now, otherwise it's at least usable as
>> a phone or tiny linux computer but isn't considered polished yet.
Many of the higher-end Nokia smartphones(N and E series) aren't
considered "mass market" simply because
most of them ship unlocked to the U.S. in limited quantities and are
typically
over $500. Which is in stark contrast to Blackerry, iPhone, Palm, and
Android
which are carrier subsidized.

Most of the Nokia N-series and E-series phones run Symbian,
except for the N900 which runs Maemo. Although, this is v1 of the N900,
I don't
think it's geared toward devs. It's fully functionally as compared to
say the G1 when it came
out. As a matter of fact, Nokia slipped the release date to clean up
some rough edges.

As for hacking smartphones I'm not sure what you have in mind but you
could get a used G1
at this point for a fraction of the cost of a N900 and I hear the
Android SDK is really slick.

Or if you're more interested in hacking Maemo specifically, you can
probably find a  N700,  N800, or
N810 internet tables that all run Maemo. I have the N700 and N810. Or
you can just download the
Maemo SDK from maemo.org and start learning.