On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, m0gely wrote:

> Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:03:12 -0700
> From: m0gely <m0g...@gmail.com>
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help;  civil and on-topic"
>     <plug@lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu Installation Problems
>
> Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>
>> Does this sound like a bad CD drive?
>
> Or try burning the disc at a lower speed. I never burn above 32x, but I
> have read with some DVD ISO's people say it's necessary to burn at much
> lower speeds. Personally I don't have trouble at 32x, but I don't buy
> generic media.
>
>> I don't recall having any trouble with it as a CD reader over the
>> last couple of years.
>
> You never have trouble though until you do. Optical drives in general
> aren't reliable. They're so cheaply made now. Plextor is the best bet
> for quality as I rarely see those die. You're going to pay a lot more
> though. I often see optical drives which read commercial media but not
> burned discs. This is just the drive telling you it's on its way out.
> IMO it's the laser that weakens when this happens.
>
> --
> m0gely

It's been 20 years since I cracked open a CD player. I learned a lot
about cheap manufacturing when I did. The worm gear for the laser
aligning mechanism was made of cheap nylon. As soon as the teeth wore
(after a year of use), it could no longer track, and would skip
endlessly. Whatever happened to the squirm gear?

Carlos