On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rst...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Neal wrote:
>> What does the WRT54G configuration page say the WAN IP address is?
>>

> I set a static IP address of 192.168.0.250, a subnet mask of
> 255.255.255.0, and a gateway of 192.168.0.1.
>
>> I would assume you're using DHCP for that.
>>

> No. But when I tried changing to that I got an assigned IP from the
> Netgear router of 192.168.0.5. I still can't ping the Netgear router
> through the WRT54G.

Do you observe the network connection for the WRT54G blinking on the
Netgear router when you're trying to ping it?

What should be happening is the 54G uses NAT to translate your laptop
ping source IP to 192.168.0.5 (or .250, whichever is configured),
forwards the ping to the Netgear, which replies back to the 54G, which
un-NATs it back to your laptop IP address and forwards it out to the
laptop.

If the pings causes the Netgear LAN port to blink then it's getting
that far but not coming back, or not all the way back as you can't
visually distinguish whether the blinking means the ping packet
arrived and was replied to or not.

I think this should all Just Work with default settings on the 54G
other than needing a network different from the Netgear LAN, including
DHCP for WAN address. Did you reset it to factory defaults just for
fun?  ;-)

Sorry but I'm out of time for now. Good luck with it.

NealS