On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM, chris (fool) mccraw <gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If someone knows how to create such an issue, I'm curious to hear about it.
>
> did you read the rest of my message?  i explicitly told you how to do
> it SAFELY in the part immediately following the part you replied to.

Yes, I saw this:

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM, chris (fool) mccraw <gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the best way to force an fsck is to make a temporary filesystem, add
> it to fstab, and intentionally screw *it* up--then you won't lose
> stuff that you might someday need.  it can be a tiny filesystem and
> your dd methodology is sound, just start 512 bytes in and write for
> awhile to make sure you hit the inode table.

Here is my interpretation of those instructions:

$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/just-for-fun bs=1M count=100
$ sudo mkfs.ext3 -F /just-for-fun
$ sudo mkdir /media/jff
$ echo "/just-for-fun /media/jff ext3 loop 0 1" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab
$ sudo reboot

It mounted just fine.  So we now have a temporary filesystem.  Now to
mess it up:

$ sudo umount /media/jff
$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero bs=1 count=200 \
  of=/just-for-fun seek=50000 conv=notrunc
$ sudo reboot

Again, booted just fine.  No prompting for root password.  Now to
really trash the filesystem:

$ sudo umount /media/jff
$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/just-for-fun bs=1M count=100
$ sudo reboot

Boots but halts at trying to mount the /just-for-fun filesystem.
Still no prompting for root password.

I guess I need to rephrase my request: if anyone has some commands or
code or a test-case that causes Ubuntu to prompt for a root password
at startup, please post.

Regards,
- Robert