That did indeed take care of it. I removed the swfdec and added the
"flashplugin-installer" which in Ubuntu installs Adobe's version. It
was very small and said that it was just adding the installer and that
the installer would have to download the actual plugin from Adobe, but
I never saw it do that. So maybe I already had it and it was
conflicting with swf? At any rate it performed flawlessly on the few
sites that I just checked it on.

Thanks!
Erik