Tim,

Thanks for your reply. BTW, I fixed the locale problem - no more errors!

I am a little confused about mysql. I created the chroot, and then from
within the chroot I issued apt-get install mysql-server. I expected it to
just install like any other package in lenny. However, I get this (note I
purged mysql-server and mysql-server-5.0, fixed the locale problem, and then
did a fresh install of mysql-server, all from within the chroot):

[orca:/]#  apt-get install mysql-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  mysql-server-5.0
Suggested packages:
  tinyca
  mysql-server mysql-server-5.0
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 26.7MB of archives.
After this operation, 84.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  mysql-server-5.0 mysql-server
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main mysql-server-5.0
5.0.51a-24+lenny2+spu1 [26.7MB]
Get:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main mysql-server
5.0.51a-24+lenny2+spu1
[55.3kB]

Fetched 26.7MB in 1min16s
(349kB/s)

Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package mysql-server-5.0.
(Reading database ... 12541 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mysql-server-5.0 (from
.../mysql-server-5.0_5.0.51a-24+lenny2+spu1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mysql-server.
Unpacking mysql-server (from
.../mysql-server_5.0.51a-24+lenny2+spu1_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up mysql-server-5.0 (5.0.51a-24+lenny2+spu1) ...
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
Starting MySQL database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . . . . failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
 mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.0; however:
  Package mysql-server-5.0 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
 mysql-server-5.0
 mysql-server

What do you mean by "mapping /var/lib/mysql"? I can't mount my 64 bit mysql
into this 32 bit chroot. I just want a clean install of 32 bit mysql in my
32 bit chroot jail.

At this point, I am ready to put myself in a chroot jail! ;-)

Mark