On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I have long known of the dotted rectangle, but adjusting it does not help.
> That is, when I first click on Get Preview in the Preview window it scans
> only the left 3.99 inches of the page. When I adjust the rectangle the
> main window changes the page dimensions to match the new rectangle. But
> when I then click on Scan it still scans only the left 3.99 inches,
> regardless of the dimensions of the new rectangle.

John,

   What mode are you using, and what format output do you specify? Do you get
the same results in Save mode (say, .jpg) as with Multipage mode (as a
.pdf)? Does color mode (line art, b&w, full color) make a difference? Is
scan source set to Normal? On the preview window is the left-most button set
to full size?

   It looks to me like a hardware issue if you get only a half-page on both
preview and scan. Do the other front ends work properly?

   I have a HP ScanJet 5200C and an Epson photo scanner and both work with
Xsane-0.996 here.

Rich