Ok, I'm getting into the discussion a few days late, but a few thoughts:
 1) I looked for years, for a local & inexpensive provider, or a co-op.
Portland is a difficult market for colocation, and most local providers charge
a pretty-penny for space.

 2) Renting cabinets and then sharing amongst a community is a difficult
prospect for providers. IINet no longer allows 24/7 access to customers hosting
with less than a 1/3 cabinet, and you are restricted to the number of folks
with keys/access (2, IIRC). The Pittock rates start at 1/3 cabinets, and
Easystreet...I don't know how they handle smaller colocation arrangements. Then
there's issues of various other people having 24/7 and unsupervised access to
your physical datacenter assets.

 3) Since I got fed up with waiting for #1, we dove in and leased a Pittock
cabinet...found the 1st one filled shortly thereafter, so some shameless
self-promotion follows (yes, an ad follows, please light your torches).

I run TOCICI, and having been raised in Portland (Parkrose), I'm as local as
you can get. I'm an active business association member, the geek side of me has
been an accomplished Linux-loving SysAdmin since the mid-90's, and I've largely
been a PLUG-lurker for nearly as long  :-)

Aside from the regular fare of IT Consulting services, TOCICI provides:
 - Hosting/Leasing of IBM brand servers.
 - Colocation services out of the downtown Portland Pittock.
 - VPS hosting primarily with OpenVZ (www.buildyourvps.com) and VMWare.

While our current data-services provider is multi-homed we're turning-up a 2nd
100Mbit circuit in a few days. At that time we'll also be taking advantage of a
recently acquired ASN from ARIN & start publicly announcing our routes over BGP.

Rates and other info are on the websites:
 Colocation & Leasing: www.tocici.com/services-colocation.html
 VPS Offerings: www.buildyourvps.com

For what its worth, while we're one of the least expensive colocation providers
in the Portland area, a major portion of our overhead is tied up in the cost of
power/cooling services, not in the cost of space itself. We're currently
playing with the idea of a pay-per-watt structure, and if there's sufficient
interest around here, I'm up for discussing terms offlist.

Other offhand providers:
 * I was a client of IINet for around 7 years...one of their larger last-mile
business bandwidth consumers at one point. We left after repeated datacenter
and wireless network related core-competency failures that spanned over the
course of several years...you've been warned.

 * Easystreet can be expensive, but they are great local folks to work with.

 * We've also worked with Forked.net in the past: great guys, smart and very
capable. They also moved from IINet to the Pittock at about the same time we
did.

 * Did I mention that TOCICI is really cool?  :-)

- Gregg
Solid IT Support & Hosting Since 1995: www.tocici.com
Small Parts Design & Machining: www.berkholtz.net