On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Keith Lofstrom <kei...@kl-ic.com> wrote:

> No, I want a general purpose text terminal.  The vim capability is
> OK, but ls -l, email, less, man pages, command line error output,
> and many other text apps can run on for pages.  Yes, I can capture
> the session to a file and look at that in vim (or with less, in
> multiple windows), but it is a poor substitute, especially given that
> modern screens are not so tall and bunches of characters wide.

I wonder if this could be done with screen -- could you run a screen
session in the "active" terminal, then view that session from another
terminal, and set it to display the scrollback content from the
"active" terminal?  (some minor exploration hasn't confirmed that this
is possible... but it sure seems like it should work.)

Screen can also log to a file, and that could be processed by a simple
tail / cat-like app to show all but the last n-lines, to correspond to
the other terminal's height.

--Rogan