On 06/24/2010 01:02 PM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Over the past few months, as I've had spare time, I've installed a
> couple of versions of Ubuntu on a spare machine. I've had success
> installing 9.10 from CD, but not 10.04. I did succeed in upgrading
> online from 9.10 to 10.04, although I did have to run sudo
> dpkg-reconfigure gdm from a text console in order to get it to work.
>
> With that info I decided that I would try installing 10.04 from CD,
> again. However, when I get to the login screen, I am unable to switch to
> a text console.

Both my personal and my employer's laptops have NVidia video cards
(different models, about 3 years age difference). i did clean installs
of Ubuntu 10.4 from the live CD. The installs were easier that earlier
versions. The only difference is that with the older video card, i just
get junk pixels for the boot splash screen and in the virtual consoles!

By "junk pixels" i mean they're really blocky and for all practical
purposes unreadable, though i can make out the word "login". Better yet,
all the virtual consoles show up twice on the screen, like two columns.

This has persisted despite all my attempts at tweaking the config, and
even after the recent upgrade to the Nvidia closed drivers. i opened a
bug, but it hasn't gone anywhere. Nothing on the Nvidia forums last time
i looked.