I would think a dynamic IP would preclude the being of a DNS server, as if the
servers IP were to change, no one could find the DNS anymore.

Or am I missing something here?

-----Original Message-----
From: logical american <website.read...@gmail.com>
Sender: plug-boun...@lists.pdxlinux.org
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:36:32
To: <plug@lists.pdxlinux.org>
Subject: [PLUG] question for Ubuntu gurus

  Any Ubuntu 10.04 guru who knows how bind9 works to implement a local
name server on a machine with a dynamic IP itself?

I have dhcp3-server running okay now, but I am having trouble
implementing a local name service because apparently the conf files
expect a static ip, not a
dynamic one.

I would like to hear from you, if you've done this.   I am trying to
bring up a LAN and corral the naming service to isolate the LAN to only
selected IPs.

Thanks!

- Randall