On Nov 20, 2010, at 1:34 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> It doesn't work with an external monitor at home. That is, it sees the
> external monitor, but I can't get it to clone the signal to the external
> monitor. The monitor in question is an LCD that runs at the same native
> resolution as the laptop. The nVidia Settings GUI sees it, but I
> haven't hit on the secret combination of settings that will make it
> clone the laptop display to the external monitor. The external monitor
> is receiving some kind of signal, because the "no signal detected"
> message disappears as soon as I plug it into the VGA output on the
> laptop. But it remains black regardless of what I do.

What I would suggest is to get yourself an Ubuntu USB stick, boot with that
with the monitor connected. I have yet to have that fail, straight out of the
box. Using the live 'CD' setup, I get into graphics mode on most any system
I've tried it on. This is how I test laptops with broken screens to see if
anything is on them and everything else is functioning.

I'm suggesting this because it appears a lot of flailing is going on, with
something that should be fairly simple. I'm thinking if you can test it with a
generic setup, as the Ubuntu live is.

Russ