On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>   When I start emacs it tells me that it cannot find ipython. In ~/.emacs'
> python section I have:
>
> (setq load-path (cons "~/development/python/python-mode-1.0" load-path))
> (autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)
> (require 'ipython)
>
>   'which ipython' returns:
> /usr/bin/ipython
>
>   I see nothing specifying a path for emacs and this error is new since the
> distribution upgrade. My assumption is that emacs 'knows' to look in
> /usr/bin/ for ipython without needing the path specified.
>
>   Taking emacs' suggestion, I started it with the --debug-init option:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "ipython")
>   require(ipython)
>   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/rshepard/.emacs" nil t)  ;

I *think* this means that it can't find the .el / .elc file that has
the '(prodide 'ipython) sexp.

Common causes:

* load-path may be set incorrectly, try something like:
   (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
"~/development/python/python-mode-1.0"))

  instead of your (setq load-path ....)  the ~ may not be expanded
properly, which might cause this failure.

* python-mode-1.0 has sub directories that need added to the load-path.
* ipython isn't the right thing to require.  Maybe you need '(require
ipython-mode)'? (I don't really think this is the issue.)

You can also run emacs under strace to see where it's looking:

$ strace -f -o emacs.strace.out emacs

Then close emacs as soon as it starts, and search emacs.strace.out for
'ipython'.

--Rogan