On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I seldom need just a full screen shot, unadulterated.  I almost always want
> to select a portion of the screen, often a portion of a window.  Then I want
> to adjust the quality of the jpg, based upon the resulting size and
> appearance.

scrot can help with this, a little.  (it is my favorite screenshot-grabber too).

To grab a png:
$ scrot -s foo.png

Then, either click on the window you want, and it will capture just
that window, or drag a rectangle to select a specific region of your
desktop to capture.  I *think* you can also click the background to
capture the entire desktop, but that doesn't seem to work with the
pre-alpha window manager I'm using (e17).

Combined with a general purpose command-launcher (like the gnome
command launch dialog... whatever it's called) you can use scrot w/out
opening a terminal.  I usually just issue: scrot -s /tmp/foo.png (in
either Enlightenment's command launcher or with dmenu under xmonad) --
no new windows involved :).

--Rogan